 Star Wars / 9095
Re: UCS X-Wing Q's
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars
Date:
Thu, 28 Sep 2000 01:11:32 GMT

In lugnet.starwars, A. Mark Wilburn writes:
At first, my X-Wing also had wings that seemed to look alright when open
(albeit the upper wings sagged, yes) but when closed they tilted up slightly
from horizontal, particularly the lower ones as previously described in this
thread. That just didn't seem right to me, so I yanked the gear mechanism (and
housing) apart and repositioned the gears relative to each other until the
wings did indeed close horizontally (from contact point to contact point) and
there was no sag with the foils open. This took a couple of tries (yes, it was
annoying) but in fact you can get them to look like they do on the box. I
followed the basic assembly angles shown in the instructions, and moved the
gears 1 tooth at a time in either direction (using the instructions as a
starting point). If you fiddle with it, it will work properly, lock into
position snugly, with no need to reposition the flaps (which are meant to
evoke the X-Wing's hexagonal cross section), and no need to 'wait one month
for settling'. The entire mechanism works properly and the wings haven't
sagged out of position in the months since.

Thanx Mark, I tried working on the gearbox last night, but no luck  :[
Going by the instructions, the lower foils end up higher at the tips.
So by tweaking the gears one tooth lower for the lower foils, they
end up drooping down at the tips, and letting the upper foil "fall"
with them.  The gears are not fine enough to give me the slight
adjustment that I need to fix the lower foils.  Oh well, they're
close enought I guess.  About all I can do is redesign the gearbox
so that there is a finer ratio to adjust the upper and lower foils
with...

Something I did redesign while I was "in there".  Page 48, Step 8,
the 1x8 dk grey plate that is supposed to hold the black hoses
in position.  When this is all assembled into the fuselage, that
plate is not clamped in any way, and the hoses eventually pop it
free to rattle around inside the ship.  Great.  Here's my very simple
fix.  Look at Page 49.  The 2 dk grey plates you can see the edges
of at the lower rear of the fuselage.  They are 2x2 3-stud plates
(L-shaped).  Take the lower one (the one that mates to the lower
fuselage assembly just looked at) and swap it with the 1x3 white
plate immediately next to it.  If you put the L in the right
orientation, it will lock that long plate into place, and fully
constrain those black hoses.  (Repeat for the other side of
course.)

KDJ
Kyle D. Jackson, LUGNETer #203, Windsor, Ontario, Canada