 Star Wars / 9077
RE: UCS X-Wing Q's
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars
Date:
Tue, 26 Sep 2000 01:15:38 GMT

thats what i use the flaps for...

josh

-----Original Message-----
From: news-gateway@lugnet.com [mailto:news-gateway@lugnet.com]On Behalf
Of Kyle D. Jackson
Sent: Monday, September 25, 2000 5:51 PM
To: lugnet.starwars@lugnet.com
Subject: Re: UCS X-Wing Q's

In lugnet.starwars, David Simmons writes:
I had the exact same experience and, as of yet, have not been able to solve
the engineering problem.  I'm really surprised they didn't utilize the
design of the AMT/ERTL model.  That version had the top left and bottom
right wings connected and vice versa.  The two pieces rotate around a
central axle.  A much more balanced and weight-distributing design.  It
really confuses me when a company that demands product tolerances to within
a few millimeters overlooks such a basic structural design flaw.

G'day David,

Something I just discovered last night while watching the Olympic
coverage...,
there are two little "flaps" under each upper wing at the root of the
trailing
edge.  When the foils are open, you can flip these down, and they sort
of "lock" against the lower wings.  It doesn't provide a great amount of
stiffness, but it tends to reduce flop in the downward direction for the
upper
wings, and brace the lower wings a bit from flopping upwards.  I doubt
that's
what the flaps are there for, but they seem to help a little.

Maybe someone will design a locking mechanism that causes the foils to go
into
a detent position when fully opened or fully closed..., probably won't be me
tho  :]

KDJ
Kyle D. Jackson, LUGNETer #203, Windsor, Ontario, Canada