 Star Wars / 8920
Re: #7191 UCS X-Wing brief review
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars
Date:
Wed, 6 Sep 2000 22:48:02 GMT

What I can't figure out is why they didn't copy the method used in the ERTL
model, which was having opposing top and bottom wings attached through the
center of the model and rotating on a central cylinder.  This made them
balance perfectly and, it seems to me, could have been easily accomplished
with Technic beams (has anyone tried this?).  It would also have negated the
silly way the wings bounce up and down when you try to "swoosh" it around
the room.  :-)

Dave

Dave, your idea about the cylinders, yes I tried it in a minifig scale X-wing
(I use the term minifig scale reluctantly) I built a couple of years ago.
This ship was 4-studs wide for the entire length of the ship.  I had built an
X-wing with 1 by 2 plate hinges before, but I was dissappointed.  My friend
had the ERTL set, and I thought the cylinder idea to be smart.  I don't have
pics of this set, so I will ry and describe the setup.  I used the 4x9 plane
wings with 4x6 plates to give the wings more length.  I place two 1x4 Technic
bricks four studs apart.  I put four 1x2 Technic bricks between those.  I used
a Technic friction peg from each 1x4 to the 1x2 next to it, and one more
friction peg connecting the middle two 1x2's together.  This assembly was then
in three parts, with the bow of the ship on one side, the two 1x2's connected
in the middle, and the stern of the ship after it.  I then attached a 2x6
plate to the top of the front two 1x2's, with the four studs sticking off to
the right, and another 2x6 on the back two 1x2's with the studs sticking off
to the left.  I also put a 2x6 on the bottom, with these four studs sticking
off to the opposite direction the one on the top was sticking.  If you put the
4x wings on you can have the wings aligned correctly, with the top left and
bottom right permanantly connected to each other, and the top right and the
bottom left connected.  It actually isn't cylinder's, but it's a similiar
idea.  I thought it worked rather well.  It's rather difficult to explain, but
I hope this helps.  If you have any questions, e-mail me and I can send you a
LeoCAD example (which can give you a much better idea than I can).  Anyway,
that's what I did, it was crude, but effective.

Kyle Henneberque