 Star Wars / 8878
Re: #7191 UCS X-Wing brief review
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars
Date:
Fri, 1 Sep 2000 17:32:11 GMT

In lugnet.starwars, David Simmons writes:

3.  My wings are not completely straight.  When closed, both pairs are
angled slightly upwards.  It's not really noticeable when they're open, but
when they're closed, it looks funny.  Has anyone else experienced this and
found a solution?  I was thinking of tearing down the gearbox and tinkering
with it, but I wanted to get some suggestions first.

Mine ended up angled slightly upwards, too.  I think this is intentional.  If
you look closely at the instructions, when the mechanism is set to the
position where the wings would be open, the top brackets are angled very high
and the bottom brackets point straight out.  When the mechanism is set to the
position where the wings would be closed, the top brackets are still angled
upwards, but at a smaller angle, and the lower brackets are angled slightly
higher than the top brackets.  Once the wings are added, their weight combined
with all the wiggle space between the gears and the flexibility in the technic
axles *almost* straightens the brackets perfectly.  In my case they still
pointed up a little bit.  My X-Wing has been assembled for over a month now,
and the slight upward angle has disappeared - presumably due to further
settling.  I bet the designers intended to leave that slight upward angle, so
that as the model settled, the wings would straighten out just right.

Jeff J

Message has 1 Reply:
  Re: #7191 UCS X-Wing brief review

(...) so (...) I can just see the header on the memo in the product development division, "One month wait necessary for the wings to sag to their proper alignment. Should the consumer be informed?" What I can't figure out is why they didn't copy the (...) (24 years ago, 2-Sep-00, to lugnet.starwars)

Message is in Reply To:
  #7191 UCS X-Wing brief review

Well, after passing my driving test on the first try I decided to get myself a present to celebrate. Armed with TLG's coupon for $15 off, I headed to my local TRU (Emeryville, CA). They had all the new SW sets including the Millenium Falcon (I'll (...) (24 years ago, 1-Sep-00, to lugnet.starwars)