 Star Wars / 8848
Re: 2001 SW line-up
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars
Date:
Wed, 30 Aug 2000 17:54:49 GMT

In lugnet.starwars, Burkhard Schloemer wrote:

You bother about screen time? LEGO obviously does not. How long was the Sith
Infiltrator's appearance in the movie? 6 seconds - at best ...

The following is speculation, but I bet I'm right...

Because of the movie release/set release timing, the first batch of EP1
sets (let's see, that'd be Sith Infiltrator, Naboo Swamp, Light Sabre Duel,
Gungan Sub, Naboo Starfighter, Droid Starfighter, Mos Espa Podrace,
Anakin's Podracer, right?) had to be developed before the movie was
completed, and even before most of it was filmed/generated.

Because of the secrecy surrounding EP1, it's doubtful that TLC had a
complete picture of what was going to be truly important in the movie.
Heck, before final editing, it would be hard for *anyone* to know what
would be truly important/memorable.

It's possible that there used to be a lot more screentime for the
Infiltrator, but that footage was cut for time/lack-of-relevance.

Anyway, TLC was developing sets before knowing what they should be making.
By the time anyone knew the mistake, it was too late.

Notice that there was a fair amount of marketing attention to the
Infiltrator as well: it's in the Incredible Crosssections book, among other
things.

And speaking of things that were marketed and then yanked from the movie,
I'd just like to say it was all "Wizard!"

Steve