 Star Wars / 6678
Re: Some questions
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars
Date:
Sat, 8 Apr 2000 07:27:50 GMT

Mark, you'll have to excuse my ignorance, but what is MOC?  It also sounds
like to me that you think the X-Wing is too small.  Did TLG get any close?  I
think the Y-Wing is fairly accurate as is the snowspeeder.  I would have to
say that the Naboo fighter is also close.

Although I agree that Lego will not change in making sets to what they want,
not to scale, but it would be nice if scale was their first priority.

Adam

In lugnet.starwars, Mark Sandlin writes:

<snip>

And it asked what I though Lego could improve on, for their sets, and I
answered "scale" which got me thinking of the Star Wars sets that are • the
worst, when it comes to scale.  I don't have any 'offical' information on
actual sizes for ships, but in my opinion, the sets with the worst scale • are:

Sith Infiltrator (sp?)
Speeder bikes
Slave I

</snip>

I think you're correct on the Infiltrator, Slave I, and the B-wing. The
Speeder Bikes are pretty close, if a bit large, but you can MOC them and
correct that.

The problem Lego is up against is sheer cost. Lego sets cost a lot more
than other toys for a proportionally smaller toy (when built). Obviously,
you're paying for the sophistication of the parts and the versatility of being
able to make many things from them... but look at it from the perspective
of a parent buying toys for their kids. You could buy a small Lego X-wing,
or for the same amount, you can buy a Kenner X-wing that's a lot bigger.

If TLG makes sets to scale, it would please all us AFOLs on LUGNET,
but it would likely cause their sales to suffer because the sets would then
cost three times as much.

I feel the same way, but unfortunately, it isn't going to change anytime
soon.  :^(

~Mark