 Star Wars / 4870
4869  |  4871
Subject:
Retailer Costs for SW vs non-SW Lego (was: Re: Extra Endor Lukes)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars
Date:
Fri, 10 Dec 1999 20:12:10 GMT

Kevin Knoot wrote:

In lugnet.starwars, Ben Olmstead writes:
As a (slightly off-topic) side note, I looked up K-Mart's cost for
all the SW sets today.  My only public comments will be:

--I was surprised by our actual cost.
--We make the same % profit on all of the (1999 SW) sets, to within
  .5%.
--Having the double sale is really cool.  _Really_ cool.

Requests for further info will go to /dev/null.

I think on Saturday I will check to see if any of the Y2K SW sets
are in the 'puter yet.  Just for kicks.

Ben,

I'm curious about one thing, and I think you're in a position where
you could check this out.  It seems the price point on all of the SW
Legos sets are similar to the non-SW sets, which is perfectly
understandable, except that TLG has to pay Lucasfilm a licensing fee.
I was wondering if TLG itself was taking a smaller profit from each SW
set as compared to their non-licensed set.  Maybe if you could compare
Big K's profit from SW sets to non-SW sets we'd then know.

That I could do.  I will add a couple of non-SW sets to my list of sets
to check tomorrow.  But I believe (if I remember correctly) that the SW
and non-SW sets are priced comparably for retailers, which, yes, means
that TLC is taking a smaller slice of the profits on the SW sets, which
they're probably making up for by the fact that they're probably selling
as many SW sets as sets from all the other lines *combined*.  (It helps
that, even discounting the 'It's STAR WARS' factor, the SW lines are the
best this year.  Well, except for the Podracers and (arguably--I kinda
like it) the Gungun Sub.  And I do like the Pontoon Plane and Bi-Wing
Baron from the Adventurers line.)
--
Ben Olmstead/BEM
<bem@mad.scientist.com>