 Star Wars / 4255
Re: 2000 A-Wing comments
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars
Date:
Wed, 27 Oct 1999 18:50:41 GMT

In lugnet.starwars, Eric Joslin writes:
In lugnet.starwars, John VanZwieten writes:

I disagree somewhat here.  One of the major things that excited everyone • about
the x-wing, snowspeeder, and y-wing was how close they came to being to scale
w/ a minifig and with each other.  The a-wing is a disappointment only • because
it's obviously too small.

Umm.  Having had the opportunity to study the production model for the A-Wing
on several occasions, both in person (at "The Art of Star Wars" exhibit in
Yerba Buena Gardens, San Franscisco, and "Star Wars: the Magic of Myth" in the
Smithsonian) and in photographs (various ILM books), I can guarantee you that
if anything, the A-Wing is too *large*, not too small.

eric

Here is Ben Fleskes' original message about the relative sizes of the X-Wing
and the Y-Wing:  < http://www.lugnet.com/starwars/?n=2091 >

  In brief, the average ratio comes to 2.854 studs/meters.  TLG's A-Wing is 21
studs long, making the Ratio for it 2.21 s/m.  My A-Wing(1) is 25 studs long,
with a 2.68 Ratio, which is pretty close.
  Also, Terry Keller and I both accidentally scaled our B-Wings almost
perfectly, while TLG's B-Wing is 36 studs long, giving it a length of 12.5
meters, well short of the actual 16 meters for the "real" B-Wing.
  These models could easily have been made to scale, and yet they weren't.
This is one of the main reasons I am *so* disappointed with them.  I can easily
understand and accept why the larger craft(Slave-1, Millenium Falcon, MTT) have
to be compressed, which is one reason why I am *not* particularily disappointed
with them.

Jeff
"I've had enough. I will not allow this! I will pay you back; because
forgiveness, for one like you, could never be an option."

1 - <plug> Vote for my A-Wing on LDraw.org's Model of the Month! </plug>