 Star Wars / 4299
Re: 2000 A-Wing comments
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars
Date:
Fri, 29 Oct 1999 15:09:53 GMT

While we're at it, let's check my A-Wing build from the X-wing set:

Jeff Stembel <Dragonelf1@aol.com> wrote in message
In lugnet.starwars, John VanZwieten writes:

Here are my calculations of the ideal -v- actuall dimentions of the A-Wing.
They are based on a length of 9.5 meters, 2.86 studs/meter, and the • schematics
available on www.starwars.com .

Let's compare it to mine!  Weee!

Total Length
Lucas:  27 studs  TLG:  22 studs

Jeff:  25 studs

John:  31

Wingspan (not including guns)
Lucas:  17 studs  TLG:  12 studs

Jeff:  14 studs

John:  16

Wingspan (including guns)
Lucas:  21.3 studs  TLG:  16 studs

Jeff:  18 studs

John:  19

Width of red area in middle
Lucas:  6 studs  TLG:  4 studs

Jeff:  6 studs (back part is 4, like in the "real" one) --- You are quite
right!  I'll have to remember that.

John:  4 (There's only so much red in the X-Wing)

Length of fuselage fore of the engines
Lucas:  15.5 studs  TLG:  15 studs

Jeff:  14 studs

John:  19

Length of engines
Lucas:  11.5 studs incl. thrust vector control  TLG:  6.5 w/o thrust vector
control

Jeff:  11 studs incl. thrust vector control

John:  12 studs incl. thrust vector control

Length of fuselage between the engines
Lucas: 7 studs  TLG:  4 studs

Jeff:  4 studs

4 studs is the width b/w the engines.  Your's is a perfect 7 studs long
(length from the back of the cockpit to the central thruster control jet.)

John:  7 studs

Height of fuselage (not incl. cockpit)
Lucas: 3.55 studs  TLG:  3.6 studs

Jeff:  4 studs

John:  3.2 studs

Height of fuselage (incl. cockpit)
Lucas: 5.1 studs  TLG:  5.6 studs

Jeff:  6 studs

John:  4.8 studs

I'm actually suprised at how close most of my measurements came, since I
didn't do the calculations at build time.  I did end up a bit long, which
undoubtedly makes the TLG A-Wing look that much shorter to me.

Not too shabby for the most part.  :)  Oh, and don't forget that TLG's • B-Wing
is also too small (by ten studs).

Yeah, that thing needs a lot of work, too.  Not bad as a model, but again,
they could have done better.  Maybe as a "limited edition" they will :-)

Like I said, I'll be getting lots of these, but I'll be making plenty of
modifications.  Anyone have a good idea for getting the notch in the front?
How about for the thrust vector controls?

Check mine out at LDraw.org's Model of the Month Contest, or download the • .dat
here: < http://www.lugnet.com/cad/dat/models/?n=12 >.  I've done both of • these
things (thrust vector controls can't turn tho).

I'm not quite happy with your notch in the front, since it extends the red
area to 7 studs at the front.  If those 1x2 plates with door rail came in red,
that would work nicely.  Your thrust vector control is very inventive and
works well, but I'd like something that is more like the ring on the "real"
thing.

-John Van