 Star Wars / 4287
Re: 2000 A-Wing comments
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars
Date:
Thu, 28 Oct 1999 20:42:36 GMT

In lug

I'm going to amend my own message here, since I just bothered to get out the
size comparison portion of the BTM Cd.  It lists the lengths, in meters, of • the
ships as follows:  SLAVE I - 21.5, Y-Wing - 16, X-Wing - 12.5, A-Wing - 9.5.

Here are my calculations of the ideal -v- actuall dimentions of the A-Wing.
They are based on a length of 9.5 meters, 2.86 studs/meter, and the schematics
available on www.starwars.com .

Total Length
Lucas:  27 studs  TLG:  22 studs

Wingspan (not including guns)
Lucas:  17 studs  TLG:  12 studs

Wingspan (including guns)
Lucas:  21.3 studs  TLG:  16 studs

Width of red area in middle
Lucas:  6 studs  TLG:  4 studs

Length of fuselage fore of the engines
Lucas:  15.5 studs  TLG:  15 studs

Length of engines
Lucas:  11.5 studs incl. thrust vector control  TLG:  6.5 w/o thrust vector
control

Length of fuselage between the engines
Lucas: 7 studs  TLG:  4 studs

Height of fuselage (not incl. cockpit)
Lucas: 3.55 studs  TLG:  3.6 studs

Height of fuselage (incl. cockpit)
Lucas: 5.1 studs  TLG:  5.6 studs

So the length should be about 30% greater--esp behind the cockpit, and the
width should be about 40% greater.  The height is just fine, but with the
other dimentions makes the A-Wing look a bit too "chunky" as someone noted.

So I was off saying the A-Wing was half the length of the X, but still, I • think
TLG's model is fairly accurate, at least when compared to the tiny model of • the
Slave I.

Certainly the scale of the A-Wing is much better than Slave 1, but as others
have mentioned, the fact that it's a small fighter means we hold it to the
standard TLG set with the X and Y.

With the size they made it, I have to say I'm pretty much pleased.  Bricks for
the stabilizers.  Looks like the cockpit is hinged for easy access.  Generally
nice shape.  The guns could have been attached more creatively, and I would
have liked them to take a stab at the thrust vector controls.  Also an attempt
at adjustable stabilizer wings would be cool.

Like I said, I'll be getting lots of these, but I'll be making plenty of
modifications.  Anyone have a good idea for getting the notch in the front?
How about for the thrust vector controls?

-John Van

Just wanted to get my 2 cents worth in as well. As far as I am concerned the
sets are basically fine. Granted they are not to exact scale and such, that is
what building your own version from the ground up is for. I mean if one thinks
about the new Star Wars sets as compared to say regular Legoland Town sets from
the early to mid 80's, the Star Wars sets are a "truer" version of what they
are modeled after say as any one of the numerous helicopter sets TLG offered.
But I am reserving this opinion for the Falcon until we see real end product
pics.
thanks for your time.

Travis