 Star Wars / 4245
Re: 2000 A-Wing comments
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars
Date:
Wed, 27 Oct 1999 14:35:59 GMT

Jonathan Little <piano254@aol.com> wrote in message
news:FK50EJ.969@lugnet.com...
In lugnet.starwars, Jason Brown writes:
Hmmm...  I still like the A-Wing.  I really like Slave I, despite what
other people have been saying!  And I must admit, the skiff is pretty
bad.

Hi, group. I've been reading messages on Lugnet for a few months now, but I
rarely respond to anything. However, this latest hype over the new SW stuff • for
2000 has given me reason to.

First thing: A big, heartfelt "THANK YOU!" to everyone involved in getting
those pics online. And, an equally big, hearfelt "THANK YOU!" to whoever it • was
that screwed up (if, in fact it was a screw up) by letting these new sets • out
months earlier than they should be.

Second  thing is this: I have to agree with whoever it was that said that a • lot
of the reason that these sets aren't as agreeable to us is simply because • the
"newness" has worn off. Overall, I don't think any of the sets are any worse
than the originals [except the  MF, if those pics are for real]. If these • sets
had come out last year instead of those that did, I feel they would be • warmly
welcomed.

I disagree somewhat here.  One of the major things that excited everyone about
the x-wing, snowspeeder, and y-wing was how close they came to being to scale
w/ a minifig and with each other.  The a-wing is a disappointment only because
it's obviously too small.  While we can understand why a big ship like the
Sith Infiltrator might need to be scaled down, the a-wing was scaled down only
to meet a lower price point.  The TLG a-wing is the only ship (so far, I'm
reserving judgement on the MF 'till we see production photos) that won't be
present in my SW classic base.

I will be buying a bunch of these sets, as they are relatively cheap, look
excellent for parts, and combined with an x-wing set will make a fantastic
a-wing.

The b-wing also could have been done better at the same price point.  Drop
some of that other stuff that comes with the set, and they could have beefed
up the ship itself.

-John Van