 Star Wars / 362
Re: See X-Wing Fighter in Ldraw/Ldlite
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars
Date:
Sun, 10 Jan 1999 20:58:56 GMT

I'm most interested in seeing what seems to be a new hinge set.  I'm
guessing it must have some sort of "teeth" which let you set a position. • I
don't think current hinges would hold the top wings in X formation (or the
bottom wings in closed formation) very long.  I've been thinking of
modifying the back of the X-wing.  I made the red stripe continue around • the
back, but on looking my son's x-wing, I realized the stripe doesn't go
there.  I also hope Lego has done something better for the back face, so • it
isn't just flat all the way down.

Teeth?  That sounds overly complex for Lego in that range.
Those wings don't look to be that heavy.  A nice long row of 2/3
finger plate hinges might suffice to hold it in place.  Those things
have quite a bit of friction.  But who knows?  Maybe they will come up
with a neat trick.
I had to use gearing with chain drives to hold my wings in place; they
_are_ heavy.
Who knows, maybe they will have a special purpose detail piece to fill
in the back.  Or a decorated plate arrangement.

-- Terry K --

I'm quite certain it's not a long row of 2/3 finger plates.  Its two parts
which are of approximate size 2X3X1.  The actuall rotating section is
cylindrical and approx. 1X2x1 in size.    I was looking through my Technic
parts and saw something which might work similar to this hinge.  Part 2790
Technic Steering Gear Holder and part 2792 Technic steering top allow for
set positioning of the wings.

As far as the special purpose detail piece for the back, I've been rather
suprised by the lack of special purpose pieces evident in the SW models.
Even the new pieces like the x-wing engine seem designed for a wide variety
of uses.

-John Van