 Star Wars / 2878
Re: Self Supporting Pod Racers
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars
Date:
Tue, 8 Jun 1999 01:50:06 GMT

Steve Bliss wrote:

[lugnet.loc.us.ca.sf snipped]

On Sun, 6 Jun 1999 00:17:51 GMT, legoverse@geocities.com (Terry K) wrote:

On Fri, 4 Jun 1999 22:32:56 GMT, "Mark Benz" <mbenz@broadvision.com> wrote:

Hi All,

Has anyone else built a "real" pod racer where you eliminate the tan 2x
plates, bricks, etc. and use black 12 gage solid copper wire to support the
control "cabin"? (you also need additional clamps in front)

What would happen if you added more of the flex tubes?  Two more tubes,
properly fastened, might give enough rigidity to hold up the 'cabin'.

Or run wires through the flex tubes?  The attachment points would need to
be modified (those 1x1 clips won't hold), but the pod should be OK.

Wow!  Thanks for the idea.  Since I seem to have wire laying around (I make
chainmaille), I checked, and 16 gauge wire fits pretty darn well.  A little weak,
but 4 tubes just might work.  Looking for something with a little more grip?  Use
the 1x1 "headlight" pieces (at least that's what I call 'em).

Anyone got a good design for crossing the streams in a four-engine pod
design?

Steve

The only 4-engine I've done (and my first original pod) used 2 on each side, end
to end, with the angled wings from the snowspeeder on the sides.  I bought
another Anakin's Racer today (mostly for the engines and tubes - I just recently
re-discovered LEGO, and only have Star Wars and some Ninja), so now that I've got
6 engines - 4 grey, 2 yellow - I'm excited to try out either a stacked 3 or
pyramid 3 engine layout.