 Star Wars / 2501
2500  |  2502
Subject:
15 lbs and counting
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars
Date:
Tue, 25 May 1999 19:46:39 GMT

Weighed my Millennium Falcon last night and It's up to 15 pounds.  Refining the
lower surface demanded plenty of plates so the wieght creeped up a little bit.

Simply flipping it over is a bit of a chore now.  But all the details are
coming together.

The forward hold now features a holo-chess table with seating on two side and
room for R2 to stand opposite.  Barrels and storage containers line one wall
(like in the movie), the ceiling slopes down towards the front of the ship
(Like in the movie), there is an access panel in the floor(like in the movie)
to repair the hyperdrive, and the floor in this room is lower(like in the
movie) then the main deck by two plates.  Oh yes, and the room is accurately
located in the middle, forward section of the saucer shape.  Interior hallways
connect this room to the others on either side.

Enlarged the smuggling capacity so there is room for up to 5-6 minifigs.
Having a little trouble with finding room for R2 since he is so thick, but I
know where I can squeeze an extra plate out of the compartment.

Revised the design of the quad laser cannons.  They now have a lower profile
and turn and rotate a little more like the gimble mount in the movie then my
earlier design.

Oh yes, there are now two compartments, upper and lower, for minifigs to
operate the two (upper and lower) quad laser cannon.  Each compartment has a
little access door for getting the minifig in and out.  That was especially
important since I didn't want to permanently bury any minifigs inside the ship.
An access tunnel with a ladder connects the two compartments with the main
deck.

The light laser cannon that recesses into the fusalage has it's own cover
panel, integrated smoothly with the lower hull.  The gun is operated with
controls on the upper hull.

The fusalage side walls are detailed now with a rougher, less uniform
mechanical looking structure.

I'll take some more pictures soon as it is at a good point to do so.  Further
changes are still planned.  Notably, more detailing on the inside.  Including a
bunk for Leia to comfort Luke after he is rescued from Bespin and has his hand
cutoff.  Also, still need to add a top access door from which Lando rescues
Luke.

Maybe a couple more months to finish things up.

Thanks all for listening to all my rants, it just that I get a little excited
as it all comes together.

Ben Fleskes

ps I could see Lego coming out with a Naboo Queen's ship, built entirely with
chromed sloped bricks.  Now that would be cool.  Then again, if they didn't use
chrome on the Naboo Fighter, they probably wouldn't on the larger ship, but one
can only hope that Lucas would simply demand it so and it would happen.

pps, does anyone remember the average number for the number of bricks in a
pound?  Number of plates in a pound?