 Star Wars / 16927
Re: If only...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars
Date:
Sat, 4 Sep 2004 16:02:41 GMT

In lugnet.starwars, Kevin Blocksidge wrote:
   In lugnet.starwars, Mark Chittenden wrote:
   LEGO really did release this set...

Found this while surfing Brickshelf... http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?i=893576

Meh.

First off, who could possible need another Tie? They are all the same.

And then, the design itself of the Tie Fighter isn’t aesthetically pleasing or functionally logical.

Finally, the MOC you linked to doesn’t even look very good, even given the limitations brought on by building a TIE Fighter.

Actually, I lied, there is one more thing: Why does everyone feel the urge to all build X-Wings, Y-Wings, and Tie Fighters. There are many SW ships that look a whole lot better, many that have never been done before. Along with the multitude of other fictional story lines to create customs of, coupled with the infinite possibilities of actually creating something using *gasp* creativity... why do people feel so attached to only building SW?

~Kevin

Um, I did post this to the Star Wars group, right? I didn’t think I made a cross post into Space...

As for why X-Wings, Y-Wings & TIEs seem to be the most popular - well, in the 3 movies, they are the fighters shown the most often. The Rebels didn’t get the A-wings and the B-Wings until Return of the Jedi. In fact, the only fighters we saw during The Empire Strikes Back are TIEs and X-Wings (mostly Luke’s at that). I’m not counting the Snowspeeders and the Cloud City Patrol Ships as fighters - they’re more of a ‘ground-support’ craft than a ‘Space Superiority’ fighter. I’m guessing TLC’s license agreement with Lucas only covers the ships/characters/scenes that are actually seen IN the movies, not in the various mediums outside of the movies (of course, I still can’t understand how TLC is including a TIE Droid in the new TIE Fighters pack instead of an Interceptor!).