 Star Wars / 16916
Re: If only...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars
Date:
Wed, 1 Sep 2004 02:46:03 GMT

In lugnet.starwars, Kevin Blocksidge wrote:
   First off, who could possible need another Tie? They are all the same.

Whoaa there dude...The poor guy is just asking a question...

   And then, the design itself of the Tie Fighter isn’t aesthetically pleasing or functionally logical.

IYHO, right? I can agree with you somewhat. While the Tie Fighter may not be the coolest ship out there, it does have a nostalga to it, especially for a Star Wars buff. In the 70’s I think it broke the mold of space ships having to look at a particular way, which most of the SW movie ships did. I think this totally lead us to the unique MOCs we are building today. Call it an evolutionary step. As far as functionality, yes the pilot would have tunnel vision, but if the Ties are parked outside of a capitol ship in a solar system, the solar panels on the ship could be a means of capturing otherwise wasted energy and puting it to good use, just as today’s sats do.

   Along with the multitude of other fictional story lines to create customs of, coupled with the infinite possibilities of actually creating something using *gasp* creativity... why do people feel so attached to only building SW?

~Kevin

First of all, this IS as Star Wars site. Second, did you ever look at Jon Palmer’s work? I liked his alphabet SW project - very original stuff inspired by SW, and creative. Why do people feel attached to SW? Why do people feel attached to building just trains? Or just space? Or just castle... There is also a certain satisfaction and challenge in building out of Lego something that is as close in detail as possible to a genuine fictional design, i.e. a model. I think Bruce Lowell, curator of .SW, and others have made some impressive (pardon the Vader pun) models of SW ships to scale. Creating your own ship designs is challenging, but I think it can be very difficult to make accurate, to scale ships that look like the came right off of a Lucasfilm set.

Bill Pfund

BTW, I will be posting an A-wing MOC soon. I like comparing my work to others who have made the same thing. It gives me ideas on how to improve my designs. Hopefully others will see my A-wing and get ideas (whether they are useful or not ;-) )