 Star Wars / 16188
Re: New Star Wars (from FBTB)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars
Date:
Sat, 13 Sep 2003 05:11:48 GMT

In lugnet.starwars, Jeremy Scott wrote:
   Quoted from front page of http://www,fbtb.net

First up we have a new UCS Snowspeeder - due in November from LEGO Direct. I’m working on gathering final details, so stay tuned on that one. Also, for those of you who are getting your Cloud City sets (and Marty sends word they are shipping in Australia) you’ll find a surprise on the back - an image of another redesigned set for January of 2004 . . .

A new Millennium Falcon.

I brought this here to discuss. While I am schyed for the UCS Snowspeeder, I do have my opinions on the Millenium Falcon.

What is LEGO doing here? Okay, they have a license that is worth a lot and they need to capitalize on this. OK. There are lots of possibilities around for many new sets (Jawa Sandcrawler, Hoth Playsets, Death Star Playsets, Sail Barge, the list goes on...) but instead, (at least for 2004) LEGO is loading the line with redesigned reissues. (X-Wing and now Millinuim Falcon) While I love the design of the new X-Wing, why couldn’t they do it right once and leave it be?

The 7190 Millienium Falcon is a bad set, I agree. However, for those that spent upwards of $300, it sure is unfair that we now have 2 versions floating around, and in order to stay complete in your collection or keep up to date with your minifig sets, you will have to fork out another $100 to buy Millenium Falcon #2.

I have very mixed emotions on this, what do others think?

Jeremy Scott

I LOVE the new Falcon. it appears to be less randomly colored (more grays instead of blue & red) I like the cockpit which can apparently fit 2 figs side-by-side, & i love the cockpit access tube, which appears to be able to allow figs to ‘walk thru’ to the cockpit. the absence of huge dish pieces is great (even though i like the dish pieces, more non-BURP bricks/plates are great) & by angling the wings, the set also is a lego provided ‘extra’ instruction on SNOT building for builders who don’t know about our community & it’s sophistication in building (previously not seen in 80’s & 90’s official sets). apparently Lego has made ‘a lot of modifications’ themselves. overall, i think it’s the more ‘advanced build’ the falcon should have been to begin with. (kids aren’t so dumbed-down by games, etc., so why insult their intelligence by juniorizing & color-coding sets? if they need parent/guardian/adult help, then that’s bonus “quality time.”) And, it’s the Millenium Falcon!!! My only request is that it have a furnished interior with a structurally correct (like orig. Lego Falcon) front-centered ‘main hold’ (room in movie with holo-djarik/chess board)& no skeletonized escape pods.

Jeff