 Star Wars / 16168
Re: New Star Wars (from FBTB)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars
Date:
Fri, 12 Sep 2003 13:36:27 GMT

In lugnet.starwars, Paul S. D’Urbano wrote:
   In lugnet.starwars, Jeremy Scott wrote:
   Quoted from front page of http://www,fbtb.net

First up we have a new UCS Snowspeeder - due in November from LEGO Direct. I’m working on gathering final details, so stay tuned on that one. Also, for those of you who are getting your Cloud City sets (and Marty sends word they are shipping in Australia) you’ll find a surprise on the back - an image of another redesigned set for January of 2004 . . .

A new Millennium Falcon.

snip

I have very mixed emotions on this, what do others think?

snip

7190 came out in 2000 and had an 8-12 age span. The new MF comes out in 2004, so even kids who were 8 when it came out are now (or almost) out of the target age for the product. TLC pays their electric bill with the 8-12 year olds who buy a product like this (not 30-somethings like me). Around 2004 they have a fresh new batch of kids who most likely don’t have 7190 and are happy to get one. Your arguments make some sense if all they do is sell sets to the same folks like you and me who bought one in 2000 and would prefer a Sandcrawler. But to a 9 year old who just dicovered and loves Star Wars, a Sandcrawler would be cool but a Millenium Falcon would be better (along with an X-Wing and the other ‘primary’ vehicles). Should Mom and Dad pay $300 on Bricklink to get it for the kid? I say no. I don’t care if other adults my age got desperate and paid three bills for this set. I want kids who love Star Wars and kids who love LEGO (kids like I was) to get what they wish for. I would have loved to get a Millenium Falcon set when I was a kid, so I’d be a huge hypocrite to say, “Too bad kid, no Falcon for you, we’ve got adult collectors who need a copy of every single set and making them pay for two of the same vehicle is unfair.” What would you think if you were that kid who’s lucky to get one $100 set a year, at Christmas or birthday time? Do without or pay $300 (i.e. get no other presents all year) so it’s not unfair to some 35-year old fanatic who needs one of each SKU?!!!?!

Agreed. In 2000, I didn’t have enough money to get the MF (like I wanted too, it was a pretty bad set). If a kid got a LEGO set for his/her birthday (say Ewok Attack) and became and LEGO Star Wars fan, he/she would have no way to get the ‘classic’ vehicles without remakes or re-releases.

Also, remakes would probably make the model much better with newer pieces and colors. Take a look at the new X-Wing:

1) It uses the new slopes to smooth out the nose

2) The wings open in the same manner the UCS X-Wing did, not by click-hinges.

3) It has landing gear like the Jedi Starfighter

4) It’s color scheme is a lot more accurate (if a bit chaotic)

5) Yoda’s hut is a bonus!

6) The price-per-piece is much better than say, Jango Fett’s Slave I.

7) There are old parts in new colors. There is a 8x8 radar dish in brown, some burnt orange plates, and arches in tan.

Personally, I’m all for it!