 Star Wars / 14893
Re: MOC: Rebel Blockade Runner
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars
Date:
Sat, 21 Dec 2002 05:42:26 GMT

In lugnet.starwars, Tony Knaak writes:
Very nice! I have browsed your site several time previous and was very
impressed. I also see that your photography on this model looks alot more
professional too. The instructions are very well put together. I can tell
you tried to make it look as much like an offical instruction booklet as
possible. You even added the little "overview" picture at the beginning of
each separate section with the gradient. That is a nice touch. The only
thing I saw one thing that might remotely be confusing. You do not show the
exact placement and cannot see the center row of engines. An upside down
view showing the engine placement might be helpful. Finally, I have been
wanting to do similar instructions with my creations. I would be in your
debt if you could discuss the process to making the .pdf file. I have all
the software (Photoshop, Arcrobat, mlcad, etc.), I just need to how.
Possibly there is a link you could give that might help. Thank You.

out
Tony Knaak
http://www.ozbricks.com/legostuff/index/index.html
http://www.ozbricks.com/legostuff/mechastruct.html

Cool. Thanks very much for the feedback!

As far as how I made the instructions, here's the basic process....

1. Model the file in MLCAD.
2. Use MLCAD to generate the the parts list and LDraw files for each step.

I wrote a little program similar to LPUB to automate the following steps...
3. Use L3P to generate POV files for the parts and steps.
4. Use PovRay 3.1+MEGAPOV to render each part and each step.
5. Use PovRay 3.5 to render the "overview" pictures.
6. Crop the renders in Corel Photo-Paint.

Back to doing things manually....
7. Final touch-ups in Corel Photo-Paint.
6. Lay out all the images and add the copy in Corel Ventura and publish to PDF.

Info on all the LEGO related tools should be easily found on www.ldraw.org
or searching the news on LUGNET.  I also know there have been a couple of
recent threads discussing rendering using both MEGAPOV and PovRay 3.5.  I
can't really help you with the Adobe products as I mostly use the Corel
equivalents.

If you have any specific questions about any of these steps, feel free to
let me know.

Thanks for the interest!