 Star Wars / 14685
Re: Ben's LEGO Millennium Falcon back on-line
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars
Date:
Mon, 25 Nov 2002 20:26:32 GMT

In lugnet.starwars, Craig Stevens writes:
Hi Gregory,

The quote you used reffers to the docking rings on each side of the
Millennium Falcon, not the six circular "vents." If you look closely, the
circular protrusions are not covered in fan blade slits and look rather like
solar panels instead. I believe that they are hatches covering escape pod
tubes for the following reasons:

The quote I used, I used for this:

"large under-hull
box. He has them firing out through the 'floor' of that section. I strongly
believe that ALL StarWars ships have very large engines, as a percentage of
total ship size. Look at the Blockade Runner, the Star Destroyer, the
Frigate, the Transport etc etc. As a result, I must disagree with Shane
here, I feel this area must be filled with engine! "

It doesn't matter whether we're talking about pods firing from the 6 circles
on the top, or from the "floor", the horizontal position is the same, just
which direction, up or down, the pods fire. The point of the quote was that,
as you can see, there would be no room for pods just in front of the engine
exhaust vents, because the engine needs to be big. ESPECIALLY since the MF
is supposed to be one of the fastest ships of its size in the galaxy. Does
anyone really believe that the engine is just this thin little "watermelon
rind" right next to the exhaust? It has to go inward, probably all the way
to just behind the gun turrets.

A) The Increddible Cross Sections book shows that the "vents" are nowhere
near the engines. In that diagram, the ring corridoor should have been moved
forward slightly, the the six pods could rest right underneath their covers.

ICS has been wrong about other stuff. Why would the ship need 6 pods,
anyway? That's way too many.

B) There is a large rectangular area sticking out of the underside of the
ship which allows the pods to stand vertically inside the Falcon.

That's possible, but it could also be that it's filled with more engine space.

C) In the Empire Strikes Back, Medical Frigate's docking tube is clamped on
to one of the "vents" - more likely an escape pod tube doubling as a docking
port.

That's addressed in one of the two links I made. It's most likely an error.
Yep, even canon can contain errors. The docking ports are in the arms you
referring to earlier, as seen with Lando's rescue of Luke. And anyone, an
escape pod "tube" doubling as a docking port is kinda silly, when the port
and starboard docking areas are available. Also kinda unworkable. Is this
supposed to happen while the pod is present or while it's ejected? Either
way seems silly.

D) The position of the "vents" exactly matches the curve of the ring corridoor.

Only 3 of them could, since they're in two rows, and even that's a maybe. No
one ever goes all the way around the ring corridor in the films.

E) The pods had to be placed somewhere visible to the audience "Several of
the escape pods have been jettisonned..."

That line can be explained by the fact that what we now know as the
Corellian Corvette/Rebel Blockade Runner/Tantive IV was originally going to
be Han's ship, and the 4 big bulges on top of the midsection of the Corvette
were going to be escape pods, but when the ship was deemed too similar to a
ship from another movie/show (Space: 1999, I think?), and Lucas suggested
the hamburger shape, the Corvette was changed in scale to be much larger,
with a hammerhead bridge section, and the escape pods were moved under the
midsection, the large bulges being made into secondary gun turrets. And
according to ICS, additional escape pod space, but who knows.

The point is, a lot of the script refers to the original Corvette, not the
eventual MF, and it's very possible that escape pods were NEVER intended to
be included in the MF.

F) Can anyone explain to me exactly where else they can be? Are there any
other AFOLs with Falcon models who plan on tackling this sticky issue?

They can be nowhere, I thought this was a pretty well known option. Look, it
could be either or, but there is a very distinct possibility that there are
NO escape pods at all, or at least not 6 pods under the circles, whatever
they are. Please, though, go look at a Corellian Corvette, or even the LEGO
model, even it has 4 little circles atop its engine slops that look just
like the MF's circles.

-Greg "Fox" Cook