 Star Wars / 13233
Re: Star Wars Questions....
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars
Date:
Mon, 20 May 2002 17:08:17 GMT

In lugnet.starwars, Thomas Main writes:
I'm not a huge Star Wars or sci-fi fan, but I did just see the new movie.  I
have a few questions that I hoped some of those steeped in SW mythology might
help me answer.

First, Padme Amadala is a senator now?  Why is she still not Queen?  Did I
miss something in Episode I?

All I can say is their system is dumb, dumb, dumb. Queens are elected for
terms, and senators are seemingly hand picked, not elected. So yeah,
Amidala's two terms expired within the 10 years since EP1. And since then
she's been appointed senator by the new queen.

Second, the Slave I ship.  Last year LEGO released 7144 Slave I, right?
That's Boba Fett's (Jango's son?) ship.  This year, they released 7153 Slave
I.  Is this supposed to be the same ship?  If not, why are they named the
same...shouldn't Boba's be Slave II?  Or, if they are the same...did LEGo
just update the design?  Do they look the same in the movies?

Same ship, different paint job-- according to non-canon sources (AFAIK).
Supposedly Boba reclaims his father's ship and uses it. And as for why TLC
released a new version of the ship? Marketing, I'm betting. All marketing.

Third, is the head senator the same person who turns out to be the emporer in
the later (earlier) three movies?

That's everyone's guess. First he was the senator of Naboo in EP1 (appointed
by Amidala we must assume). Then in EP1 he gets nominated and voted in as
the "Supreme Chancellor" of the senate. And in EP2, he gets "emergency
powers" so that he can act more quickly in the war; promising to give them
up when the war is done with. The audience is left to assume that he
*doesn't* give them up after the war, and instead declares himself emperor.

Fourth, do the clones fight for the Republic?

Yup.

Who asked they be made?

We're left only to assume that Palpatine (the head senator) asked to have
them made 10 years prior. But there's been no official answer.

Why?

To fight the war, of course :) Back then (when they were ordered) there
*was* no war, which is part of the plot-- IE whoever ordered them KNEW or
WANTED there to BE a war in the future, and has had this all planned out
from the start.

They seem to fight for the republic in this movie...does that change?

Nope. They're the predacessor to stormtroopers of course, but remember that
the republic turns into the empire. So right now, while the republic seems
to be "good", they're fighting for "good". But when the republic becomes the
empire, they're suddenly "bad".

I saw Episode I...but can't really remember much about it...what happened in
Ep. I that effects events in Ep. II and the over three movies....can't think
of anything off hand....

Setup. Character introduction, etc. It answers questions about what the
galaxy was like before the empire; what the Jedi order was like in its
heyday; where Obi-Wan came from; where Anakin came from, etc.

Essentially, as a series in its present state, it can be argued that it's
all about Anakin Skywalker (AKA Darth Vader). The movies cover his life
pretty much fully: his early beginnings & his finding, his training, his
fall from grace, and his eventual return in Return of the Jedi.

DaveE