 Star Wars / 12802
DETAILS: 8011 Jango Fett & 8012 Super Battle Droid
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic, lugnet.build.mecha, lugnet.starwars
Date:
Tue, 2 Apr 2002 15:42:32 GMT

I made a quick trip to Wal-Mart last night[1] and discovered all the new
2002 SW sets (except for the Yoda sculpture).

Here are pictures of the parts and a few close up shots:

8011 Jango Fett $30:
http://www.texbrick.com/quick_pics/8011/

8012 Super Battle Droid $35:
http://www.texbrick.com/quick_pics/8012/

I haven't had time to put these together yet, but I have looked at the
instructions and the parts.

Jango doesn't impress me as a model. He doesn't have much movement (much
like 8010 Darth Vader, e.g. stiff legs) and the purple color doesn't appeal
to me. However, the ppp is most excellent and there aren't many
overly-specialized parts. I cannot recall the exact part count, but it's
over 400 (~430 IIRC) so it's about ¢7 per piece!

The Super BD is most excellent. The new joints (Mecha builders listen up!)
are the best new part I've seen in a while. They're like a very stiff
U-joint. You can see close up pictures and details of the parts at the
bottom of the page (goto the 8012 link above).

The SBD is fully poseable with the new joints and the set comes with 8 of
them! Most of the parts are in light blue or this new kinda metallic, kinda
pearlescent purple color (again, goto the 8012 link for pics). The SBD does
have one mechanical feature, although I haven't built it yet so I'm not sure
what it does (I think it raises and lowers something, like an arm). The set
does come with one 16t gear and one 20t double bevel gear.

a very happy SW and Technic fan,
TJ

[1] My Trip To W-M (Houston, Texas)
I arrived at the "Lego isle" to find nothing new. I became disgusted and
started to walk out. However, something made me glance back as I was leaving
and I saw Lego sets on the top shelf opposite of the normal shelves that
Lego occupies. That area has been usually reserved for clone bricks, so I
turned around and had a closer look.

They were just sitting there all cluttered together without any prices. I
began jumping up and grabbing a few sets to look at them. I felt like I was
playing basketball, taking "jump shots" to retrive the sets. I attracted a
few kids who were interested and passed the sets to them. We all had a great
time!