 Star Wars / 10860
Re: Interview with LEGO at Toy Fair
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars
Date:
Wed, 14 Feb 2001 17:09:33 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

In lugnet.starwars, Eric Joslin writes:

It amused me as well, because Lucas always described Star Wars as half Samurai
movie and half Western.  So, in the Ninja sets we get katanas and muskets, in
the Wild West sets we get revolvers and rifles, and in the Star Wars sets, we
get... the old megaphone piece.

While I agree that we should've gotten some blasters, we didn't *JUST* get
"the old megaphone piece."  We also got some really nifty lightsabers.  Lego
could have simply bundled in an old antenna piece in the appropriate colors
and I don't think anyone would complain.  Instead they gave us really cool
lightsaber hilts and multi colored sticks.  IMHO lightsabers are a much more
important weapon in the Star Wars Saga than blasters are.

<snip>
We all (and that includes LEGO) know that those pieces are there to represent
guns.  I don't think that making little Star Wars guns is going to make any
real difference in how the sets are perceived by *anyone*- except maybe that
people will think they are slightly cooler.

The company line up there would be easier to swallow if they didn't give the
'figs megaphones at all.

eric

Agreed... also the guns from the western/adventurers themes look more like
real guns than the SW blasters would.  I really don't see how TLG can
justify all of the spears, bows, crossbows, swords, axes, pistols, rifles,
and knives that are found in other themes but they cannot justify blasters.
It's a double standard.

-Bryan
hobartrus@hotmail.com
http://www.geocities.com/hobartrus/index.html