 Star Wars / 10857
Re: Interview with LEGO at Toy Fair
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars
Date:
Wed, 14 Feb 2001 15:29:40 GMT

In lugnet.starwars, Eric Joslin writes:
In lugnet.starwars, James Simpson writes:

Thanks for the heads-up.  That was very interesting.  I was amused by the
answer
to the gun questionProps?  Props?  Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't every
Western set box, insructios, and artwork show the figs brandishing guns?
Don't
most of the sets have outlaws hiding their ugly mugs behind bandanas?  I
wonder
if it was hard for him to keep a straight face while reciting the company
line.

It amused me as well, because Lucas always described Star Wars as half Samurai
movie and half Western.  So, in the Ninja sets we get katanas and muskets, in
the Wild West sets we get revolvers and rifles, and in the Star Wars sets, we
get... the old megaphone piece.

Now, I understand that the SW sets are new-piece-intensive.  That alone
probably makes molding new guns a little prohibitive.  But, c'mon.  When they
show Boba Fett standing there holding a megaphone, do they *really* think
people look at it and say "oh, hey, Boba Fett is going to do a few cheers for
us"?  Is the invading Battle Droid army going to yell mean things at the
citizens of Naboo?

We all (and that includes LEGO) know that those pieces are there to represent
guns.  I don't think that making little Star Wars guns is going to make any
real difference in how the sets are perceived by *anyone*- except maybe that
people will think they are slightly cooler.

Quite to the contrary. I would hope that they have gone back to their core
values. If pre-molded guns were to be included in the sets, I would have to
boycott that theme, as I have done with every theme incorporating pre-molded
guns to date. It would hurt. Sort of like tearing off one of my own limbs,
but it would be necessary in my mind.

A distiction that I make (sort of a line in the sand if you will) is that
pre-molded guns take no imagination to create, where the megaphone guns are
a conglomeration of pieces taking imagination to build and use. It may seem
like a small distinction, but at least I know that the child playing with
the set would have to use their imagination just a little more rather than
revert to standard marketed violence.

The company line up there would be easier to swallow if they didn't give the
'figs megaphones at all.

eric

I've been through this discussion before, so I'll FUT .debate.

-Duane