 Space / 9234
Re: Interior Doors?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Thu, 14 Jun 2001 17:10:35 GMT

In lugnet.space, William R. Ward writes:
"Tom McDonald" <radiotitan@yanospamhoo.com> writes:
I haven't seen this design for a bit, but it works and I still have it in
one of my models. You can make "flip-up doors" where sliding ones won't fit.
This takes a bit of clearance, but you can fix that somewhat.. details
follow the basic construction.
[...]

An interesting idea as well...

I just thought of a variation on that idea which may prove even more
useful, since doors rarely hinge from the ceiling: rotate your design
by 90 degrees.  Using "1x1 headlight bricks" or somesuch, you can
attach the tilt bearing hinges to the wall rather than the ceiling, so
that it swings like a normal door.  I may experiment with that to see
how that works.  The 1x4 hinges take up too much room, but the 1x2
tilt bearing hinges are very compact, especially when rotated on their
sides.

One of the reasons I had avoided using the 1x2 tilt bearing hinges turned on
end like that is because I like piece economy when I try to design things,
esp. in bigger ships that seem to frequently use real doors. Turning even
one of those hinges for one door seems to me that it would require a few
special pieces so that the hinge can be attached by both its studs and
sockets. But if it works for ya, who am I to argue? :)

-Tom McD.