 Space / 9224
Re: Interior Doors?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Wed, 13 Jun 2001 23:20:49 GMT

"Tom McDonald" <radiotitan@yanospamhoo.com> writes:
But seriously, I've used this door design for quite some time, and I wasn't
the first either. I would say that it's been around long enough so that you
don't hafta worry about credit. :) • [...]
If it wasn't clear to you (but probly was), the door when flat should occupy
either 5x6 or 6x6, cuz when on-end 6 wide will give you a nice 5 brick high
doorway. Also, the doortracks tend to be a bit on the tight side, that is,
the doors don't usually slide open/shut by themselves.

I built a mock-up of this design last night, and it was very tight.
But it worked quite well.

Door Design #2 --------------

I haven't seen this design for a bit, but it works and I still have it in
one of my models. You can make "flip-up doors" where sliding ones won't fit.
This takes a bit of clearance, but you can fix that somewhat.. details
follow the basic construction.
[...]

An interesting idea as well...

I just thought of a variation on that idea which may prove even more
useful, since doors rarely hinge from the ceiling: rotate your design
by 90 degrees.  Using "1x1 headlight bricks" or somesuch, you can
attach the tilt bearing hinges to the wall rather than the ceiling, so
that it swings like a normal door.  I may experiment with that to see
how that works.  The 1x4 hinges take up too much room, but the 1x2
tilt bearing hinges are very compact, especially when rotated on their
sides.

--Bill.

                    (formerly known as hermit@bayview.com)
                   Life is too important to take seriously.