 Space / 8990
Re: Interior modeling techniques?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Wed, 30 May 2001 15:51:20 GMT

In lugnet.space, William R. Ward writes:

I'm afraid I've never mastered the art of interior design, when it
comes to Lego craft.  Seeing some of the models, most recently Bram's
latest wonder, has made me really want to work on improving that.

I like to think I do a good job on the exterior design of my ships.  I

<snipped>

How do you all do it?  Do you plan the internal floorplan in advance,
and build the exterior to suit it?  Do you build the exterior and add
interior pieces in the result?  Some combination of the two?  I tend
to build ships with wide open spaces inside, then find difficulty
adding interior walls, wall-mounted fixtures, etc., without having to
disassemble the whole thing.  But doing the interior first strikes me
as wrong too.  What's the best way?

--Bill.

Hi Bill!

I don't have a lot of experience, myself, with interior designs. Or exterior
for that matter.. :) I used to build things that looked like crumby
knock-offs of the Galaxy Explorer - narrow, long, and boxey.

The Taranis (1) was my first attempt at a 'scratch built' spacecraft. It
started with the need to use the the large 1x6x?? trans blue panel windows
as they're all that I have. It resulted in using the Falcon saucers to
'house' the panels and the rest just went from there.

I built the bottom of the hull up to the main deck level and then begain
working on the interior footprint - deciding mostly where the bulkheads
would be and what equipment would best fit where. That process (Like Todd
Trotter mentioned) took a while - build, tear down, rebuild then do it over
again as other things got revised and it was apparent the layout wouldn't
work any longer. The ship was originally going to be about half as long as
the final version. I had things I wanted to build in and realized there
wasn't room to fit it all in a shorter model.

The part that was hardest for me was thinking far enough ahead to include
the access panels and adding the widgets and doodads under them to make the
ship have more 'depth' and a new level of "playability" than any other ships
I'd created in the past.

Then when it was all "done" I caved into Grand Admiral Sandlin and put
retracts in the thing... but that's a story I've already told. ;)

The final outcome -- planning was somewhere between the limitations of
exterior design and the desire to have certain 'features' built into the
interior.

Hope that helps!

Joel J
(1) http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=3560