 Space / 8989
Re: Interior modeling techniques?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Wed, 30 May 2001 15:12:59 GMT

In lugnet.space, William R. Ward writes:
So I'm learning late.  I've been working on copying some of the clever
chair designs I see on Brickshelf and other things like that.  But I
think I'm missing the big picture in terms of integrating these
elements into the model.
--Bill.

Bill,

I'm fairly new to the cramming as much detail into my models train of thought
also. Like you I was content with a good exterior with some control sticks and a
computer on the interior. I really never designed much more than a sparse
cockpit. When I joined Lugnet it opened my eyes to how far you can take the
detail of your models.

I usually build the exterior first. Sort of like an empty shell. I've tried to
build interior spaces and then build an exterior around them, but I find that I
usually end up with a box.

Once I have my exterior fairly complete I start to design the interior. This
means that sometimes I have to do some major deconstruction and redesign on the
exterior. Maybe, I need to enlarge parts of the exterior to get all the details
I want.

Build it up, review it, tear part of it down, redesign it, repeat as many times
as necessary until I'm happy with every part of the design. It can be a
frustrating process (especially when I can't remember how to reassemble
something), but I think it pays off in the end. I know that I've put my heart
and soul into my creation.

Todd Trotter