 Space / 8993
Re: Interior modeling techniques?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Wed, 30 May 2001 17:46:09 GMT

William R Ward <bill@wards.net> writes:
How do you all do it?  Do you plan the internal floorplan in advance,
and build the exterior to suit it?  Do you build the exterior and add
interior pieces in the result?  Some combination of the two?  I tend
to build ships with wide open spaces inside, then find difficulty
adding interior walls, wall-mounted fixtures, etc., without having to
disassemble the whole thing.  But doing the interior first strikes me
as wrong too.  What's the best way?

I usually build about half of the exterior and then start on the interior.
I built most of my cars, for example, from the bumper pack.  When I get to
the center of the car, I buils some of the interior to make sure everything
will fit.  I finish the rest of the back, work some more on the interior,
and complete the roof.  For the space plane, I started by building the frame
for the wings.  Then I built the seating arrangement for the passenger
cabin.  I built the rest of the passenger cabin around the seats, building
up the galley and lavatory in the meantime.  I then built the front of the
cockpit, and started filling in the interior from the open end.  Later, when
I attached the cockpit, I built the rest of the interior up as I built the
walls and floors.  So I guess, for the most part, I build the interior and
exterior at the same time.
--Bram

Bram Lambrecht
bram@cwru.edu