 Space / 9442
Re: Interior modeling techniques?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Fri, 22 Jun 2001 22:53:29 GMT

In lugnet.space, William R. Ward writes:

, snip ,

How do you all do it?  Do you plan the internal floorplan in advance,
and build the exterior to suit it?  Do you build the exterior and add
interior pieces in the result?  Some combination of the two?  I tend
to build ships with wide open spaces inside, then find difficulty
adding interior walls, wall-mounted fixtures, etc., without having to
disassemble the whole thing.  But doing the interior first strikes me
as wrong too.  What's the best way?

--Bill.

I am not a master builder, but I've though about the thought
process behind designing models quiet a bit.

In the case of designing my UH-60 Helochopter, The exterior walls
are shared as interior walls (1 stud thick) -- so I designed it front to
back, bottom to top all at once as I went.

Don't be afraid to build, and then take apart large sections just
to get something right.  Patience and persistance pay off.  Try
different designs, incorporate them and tear then apart until you
have it right.  I did this numerous times.  Often something looks
great but isn't structurally sound.

Consistency in color is very important as well.  I ended up using
all light gray for the primary color and later incorporated a complete
strip along the body of the aircraft in dark grey just to give it
some charm.

While I build I attempt to balance asthetics, functionality for
minifigs, playability (having snap in/off roofing to allow
for interiorg access), and construction strenght and integrity.

I wanted to be able to grab my chopter at one end or the other and have
it hold together under it's own weight.

In terms of techniques, I use instinct more than a set guild line.
I'm sure there more efficient ways of constructing interiors.  I
do, however, put myself in the eyes and mind of the minifig.   I try to
think as a minifig "would this look good to me?"  would this room
or hallway feel cozy, strong or is it functional?" - would this
bunk feel comfortable or would the control room be easy of use?
Is there proper storage space, room to manuver?

Avoid harshly contrasting coloring.  Two tone colors work best in my
opinion.  White floor, light grey walls, with white trim?  Who knows.

If all else fails copying other people design can help teach
you enough to break into your polished style.   Besides even
seeing pictures of other folks work doesn't easy translate
into being able to copy their work.

Another training tool is copying existing crafts (space, military, etc)
and build a lego replica.  Having a guide to build helps.  Free-lance
design requires more skill - especially if you're just learning.

- Marc

http://www.netpresonic.com/lego/uhc