 Space / 8683
  docking systems

I can't remember if it was in this forum or not but I once read a long line of posts discussing docking systems standards. Does anyone know if a conclusion was arrived at ? zSoden (23 years ago, 13-May-01, to lugnet.space)

  Re: docking systems

(...) You are right, there has been a lot of discussion about docking standards. Unfortunately we as a group have never agreed on one. I've seen a tremendous advance in door technology over the last six or eight months though, which I think will (...) (23 years ago, 14-May-01, to lugnet.space)

  Re: docking systems

I missed those posts, but I'll tell you about my standard docking port. A picture of one of the ports can be seen at (URL) When two ships dock, I just pop four Technic friction pins (the black ones) in the holes and snap the two ships together. It (...) (23 years ago, 15-May-01, to lugnet.space)

  Suggestion For Universal Standard (was Re: docking systems)

(...) Your design inspired me to build this docking port. (URL) like the idea of technic peg "docking clamps" and utilized that. I made my dock wider and tried to use the most generic parts possible so that everyone could use the design. (After all (...) (23 years ago, 15-May-01, to lugnet.space)

  Re: Suggestion For Universal Standard (was Re: docking systems)

(...) Umm, to me it looks like a fortunecity gif. I'd love to see the real thing so I can incorporate it into my spacecraft. Thanks, George (23 years ago, 15-May-01, to lugnet.space)

  Re: Suggestion For Universal Standard (was Re: docking systems)

(...) Odd. True I had just uploaded it but I did test it. I just tried again and everything works OK for me. Hmm? -Mike Petrucelli (23 years ago, 16-May-01, to lugnet.space)

  Re: Suggestion For Universal Standard (was Re: docking systems)

In lugnet.space, Mike Petrucelli writes: <snipped> (...) Mike, I've been lurking, but I just tried it and it works fine for me in IE5.0. Joel J (23 years ago, 16-May-01, to lugnet.space)

  Re: Suggestion For Universal Standard (was Re: docking systems)

(...) Ok cool. Well for anyone that could not get it to work I set up a brickself account: (URL) Petrucelli (23 years ago, 16-May-01, to lugnet.space)

  Re: Suggestion For Universal Standard (was Re: docking systems)

(...) Many thanks, that's a good design. George (23 years ago, 16-May-01, to lugnet.space)

  Re: Suggestion For Universal Standard (was Re: docking systems)

(...) I like the sliding doors, but I don't think it needs to be so big. On a smaller ship, that size would be a bit of a handicap... --Bill. (23 years ago, 27-May-01, to lugnet.space)

  Re: Suggestion For Universal Standard (was Re: docking systems)

(...) I think that the doors are the biggest problem in a universal docking system: big ships can have sliging doors bot on smaller craft there is nowhere near enough room. Hatches or something like that need to be used. Ill have a fiddle around in (...) (23 years ago, 27-May-01, to lugnet.space)

there can be more than 1 standard. ie: size... bigger ship might have 2 ports, standard and smaller for smaller ships docking. -- And they said 'Computers will never be in general use' "Zac Soden" <zac_soden@hotmail.com> wrote in message (...) (23 years ago, 27-May-01, to lugnet.space)

  Re: Suggestion For Universal Standard (was Re: docking systems)

(...) Well my take on it is that the docking standard was for capital ships and dock/bases, not for small ships. That is why I opted for a 6 wide sliding door docking port. I made the design as compact as I could for smaller capital ships. Anything (...) (23 years ago, 27-May-01, to lugnet.space)

  Re: Suggestion For Universal Standard (was Re: docking systems)

This makes me think of the small personnel transports that we see in Star Trek 1 and 2 (the movies) where the small craft dock to a small round docking port on the side of the ship. Sort of like externally mounted escape pods that can be piloted (...) (23 years ago, 27-May-01, to lugnet.space)