 Space / 791
Re: Constructing Bay Doors
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Thu, 23 Dec 1999 18:23:47 GMT

In lugnet.space, Chris Giddens writes:
In lugnet.space, Tim Courtney writes:
I would like to know some of your concepts on constructing bay doors on
larger vessels.  Its been somewhat of a problem to me in the past, and it
would be nice to hear others' strategies.

I guess the main thing for me is having a functional door on a bay where
the edge of the opening is the wall of the ship, so no room for a mechanism
on that wall of the ship.  For narrower bays, I just use the garage door
rack pieces, but I would like to construct doors for a wider and taller
bay.  I've had folding doors that fold up and down, or just up, but
something a little more complex than that is in order.  I haven't made a
ship that is capable of using quarter domes for the doors, but a mechanism
for that shouldn't be too difficult if I ever do.  I'm looking for flat
door ideas, maybe on a technic mechanism to open and shut them.  Ideas?

-Tim

http://www.zacktron.com
http://www.ldraw.org
AIM:   timcourtne
ICQ:   23951114

Isn't charging someone with attempted murder just like saying, "Better
luck next time?"

I'm using the big dome doors from the Explorien Android Base.  I made it much
wider by using extra dome wall pieces on each side.  A galaxy explorer can fly
in and dock inside.  My ship is close to 200 studs long.

I own only three of those huge 1/4 blue dome things, two from the Exploriens
base, one from the Spyrius base.  But, still, that's enough for 3 bays.
Remember that posted message ["Re:  Ship Power Core"] that had that link to a
site with a cylindric antimatter core?   Who noticed the trans-yellow 1/4 dome
that could be raised or lowered to expose or cover the antimatter core?  That
might work nicely for a launch bay.  See if you can get some good ideas from
that.