 Space / 767
Re: Constructing Bay Doors
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Wed, 22 Dec 1999 21:32:57 GMT

In lugnet.space, Tim Courtney writes:
I would like to know some of your concepts on constructing bay doors on
larger vessels.  Its been somewhat of a problem to me in the past, and it
would be nice to hear others' strategies.

I guess the main thing for me is having a functional door on a bay where
the edge of the opening is the wall of the ship, so no room for a mechanism
on that wall of the ship.  For narrower bays, I just use the garage door
rack pieces, but I would like to construct doors for a wider and taller
bay.  I've had folding doors that fold up and down, or just up, but
something a little more complex than that is in order.  I haven't made a
ship that is capable of using quarter domes for the doors, but a mechanism
for that shouldn't be too difficult if I ever do.  I'm looking for flat
door ideas, maybe on a technic mechanism to open and shut them.  Ideas?

-Tim

http://www.zacktron.com
http://www.ldraw.org
AIM:   timcourtne
ICQ:   23951114

Isn't charging someone with attempted murder just like saying, "Better
luck next time?"

I tend to use many hinges and large plates for bay doors, when I build such
doors.  I place the hinges on the edges of the bay, and attach plates in such a
way so that the plates interlock when the doors close.  But, here's another
method:  Remember the Death Star's blast doors, the ones in the corridors?
Those would be nice.  Or, speaking of the Death Star, its bays had no doors,
just force fields.  But, I still like bay doors better than force fields.