 Space / 786
Re: Constructing Bay Doors
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Thu, 23 Dec 1999 13:47:38 GMT

At 12:42 AM 12/23/1999 , Tom McDonald wrote:
Also, to return to yesteryear, a classic space design is to use the 1x2 x 1x2
brick hinges to open up to equal halves of the back of the ship. I supposed
that could be applied to bay doors that just swung outward. I was thinking
that any entry guidance equipment could be located on the inside of the doors
themselves, thus having such equipment be pointed outward when the doors were
opened, and naturally guiding the ship inward as they close.

I like that idea, and the doors are rather strong.  I have a method for
making those style doors, but I mostly use it for doorways into rooms on
larger vessels.  The way my bay is on the (Melbourne) project, there's not
a lot of room to attach a door like that to it.

But I suppose folks want a cleaner, smaller profile when opening those doors
so that they don't get blown off. I've never done it, so my design is indeed
suspect, but you could make tall, segmented doors 1 stud thick, each segment
being 2 or 3 studs wide, that use the same 1x2 x 1x2 brick hinges, sit
them on tiles, and have them scoot sideways; like a rolltop desk cover but
sideways. Though you'd hafta make any corners navigable by introducting
them at less than 90 degrees.

Part of a possible door track:

           (space)
       ===============
     //
    //     (cabin)

My ASCII art is poor here, but you could use those 3x3 diagonal bricks for
use as track guides on the diagonal portions, and 1x1 tiles along the
track in those diagonal areas. I'm using 3x3's because I couldn't think of
anything
that would make a nicer outer curve of doortrack (short of nice pieces no one
would ever want to use as a mere doortrack). Inside the door track, one could
easily use those 4x4 quarter-circle bricks.

The goal is to reproduce pieces that have already been made (the sliding
garage door pieces of old, but going sideways instead).

Your method sounds like a challenge unless the edge of your doors have
rollers on them of some type.  If you could find a way to attach 1x1
cylinder bricks to the edges of the door FIRMLY, then a track method could
be devised that's 1 stud thick.  Still, it would be rough.  The idea is a
bulky strong exterior door that's easily movable by hand or by a Technic or
Pneumatic mechanism.

If someone tries this, LMK how it works out.

OTOH, if I had a bay where the door was x stories tall and a bay that's 2x
stories tall, I could try my hand at a vertical version of your sliding
door, which would work out nice.

-Tim

http://www.zacktron.com
http://www.ldraw.org
AIM:   timcourtne
ICQ:   23951114

Isn't charging someone with attempted murder just like saying, "Better
luck next time?"