 Space / 761
Re: Constructing Bay Doors
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Wed, 22 Dec 1999 19:13:27 GMT

In lugnet.space, Tim Courtney writes:
I would like to know some of your concepts on constructing bay doors on
larger vessels.  Its been somewhat of a problem to me in the past, and it
would be nice to hear others' strategies.

I guess the main thing for me is having a functional door on a bay where
the edge of the opening is the wall of the ship, so no room for a mechanism
on that wall of the ship.  For narrower bays, I just use the garage door
rack pieces, but I would like to construct doors for a wider and taller
bay.  I've had folding doors that fold up and down, or just up, but
something a little more complex than that is in order.  I haven't made a
ship that is capable of using quarter domes for the doors, but a mechanism
for that shouldn't be too difficult if I ever do.  I'm looking for flat
door ideas, maybe on a technic mechanism to open and shut them.  Ideas?

-Tim

http://www.zacktron.com
http://www.ldraw.org
AIM:   timcourtne
ICQ:   23951114

Isn't charging someone with attempted murder just like saying, "Better
luck next time?"

I use pneumatically operated doors that open downward and form a ramp, but I
build primarily surface vehicles, so you may not want something like that.
But, pneumatics could probably work in the way you want to door to open.
Greg "Default Beep?" Majewski
http://www.geocities.com/TimesSquare/Dome/1888/abs.html