 Space / 759
    Constructing Bay Doors —Tim Courtney
   I would like to know some of your concepts on constructing bay doors on larger vessels. Its been somewhat of a problem to me in the past, and it would be nice to hear others' strategies. I guess the main thing for me is having a functional door on a (...) (25 years ago, 22-Dec-99, to lugnet.space)

        Re: Constructing Bay Doors —Scott Edward Sanburn
     (...) My thought would be three brick wide doors, with the doors being one brick thick, and you can use technic parts, or a wheel system to get that effect. (I don't know if this would be an entire ship approach, or more likely a stage approach. (...) (25 years ago, 22-Dec-99, to lugnet.space)

        Re: Constructing Bay Doors —Greg Majewski
     (...) I use pneumatically operated doors that open downward and form a ramp, but I build primarily surface vehicles, so you may not want something like that. But, pneumatics could probably work in the way you want to door to open. Greg "Default (...) (25 years ago, 22-Dec-99, to lugnet.space)

        Re: Constructing Bay Doors —Patrick Leahy
     (...) I tend to use many hinges and large plates for bay doors, when I build such doors. I place the hinges on the edges of the bay, and attach plates in such a way so that the plates interlock when the doors close. But, here's another method: (...) (25 years ago, 22-Dec-99, to lugnet.space)

         Re: Constructing Bay Doors —Lindsay Frederick Braun
       (...) If you have enough grey to build a minifig-scale Death Star, you can make any kind of doors you want! ;) Seriously, though, I've usually handled carried craft in the "Space: Above and Beyond" method, with only the cockpit actually *in* the (...) (25 years ago, 22-Dec-99, to lugnet.space)

         Re: Constructing Bay Doors —Duane Hess
     (...) a (...) I remember Shaun Sullivan building a pretty good looking bay door on his AT-AT, but I don't have a clue how he did it. I've always used the 3 brick method where the door is slid between two walls. It works OK, but takes up a lot of (...) (25 years ago, 22-Dec-99, to lugnet.space)

         Re: Constructing Bay Doors —Tim Courtney
     (...) On my current LDraw project, I have an airlock which features 2 of the 3 stud wide doors - slightly modified. Tom McDonald came up with this cool system to make a sliding door fit in 2 studs wide. I included the 3rd stud row for extra (...) (25 years ago, 23-Dec-99, to lugnet.space)

         Re: Constructing Bay Doors —Tom McDonald
      (...) method (...) Yeah, accordian doors would work. Also, to return to yesteryear, a classic space design is to use the 1x2 x 1x2 brick hinges to open up to equal halves of the back of the ship. I supposed that could be applied to bay doors that (...) (25 years ago, 23-Dec-99, to lugnet.space)

         Re: Constructing Bay Doors —Tim Courtney
     (...) I like that idea, and the doors are rather strong. I have a method for making those style doors, but I mostly use it for doorways into rooms on larger vessels. The way my bay is on the (Melbourne) project, there's not a lot of room to attach a (...) (25 years ago, 23-Dec-99, to lugnet.space)

        Re: Constructing Bay Doors —Chris Giddens
     (...) I'm using the big dome doors from the Explorien Android Base. I made it much wider by using extra dome wall pieces on each side. A galaxy explorer can fly in and dock inside. My ship is close to 200 studs long. Chris <>< (25 years ago, 23-Dec-99, to lugnet.space)

         Re: Constructing Bay Doors —Patrick Leahy
     (...) I own only three of those huge 1/4 blue dome things, two from the Exploriens base, one from the Spyrius base. But, still, that's enough for 3 bays. Remember that posted message ["Re: Ship Power Core"] that had that link to a site with a (...) (25 years ago, 23-Dec-99, to lugnet.space)

         Re: Constructing Bay Doors —Greg Majewski
     I just remembered this cool-as-heck space station built by Brian Ward. It had some pretty cool bay doors. Even though it is a ground facility, you could probably make it fit on your ship: (URL) "I'm Crazy Tetherball Head!" Majewski (URL) (25 years ago, 23-Dec-99, to lugnet.space)

        Re: Constructing Bay Doors —Tim Courtney
   (...) I would love to design a ship large enough to use those - that would make a rather large bay. I just wish I had the pieces for that size vessel... -Tim (URL) timcourtne ICQ: 23951114 Isn't charging someone with attempted murder just like (...) (25 years ago, 23-Dec-99, to lugnet.space)