 Space / 7306
Re: Atmospheric Mecha Carrier Update!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space, lugnet.build.mecha
Date:
Tue, 27 Feb 2001 03:51:42 GMT

In lugnet.space, Paul Baulch writes:

"Mark Sandlin" <sandlin@nwlink.com> wrote in message
news:B6BE8C53.DD02%sandlin@nwlink.com...

Remember, your weapon was built by the lowest bidder!

This saying drives me up the wall. I mean, surely it's cheaper to use lead
than depleted uranium? Or to build a jet without ejector seats?
My point is that the idea has practical limits like safety and performance,
and when you apply those limits the idea becomes moot because, well,
virtually _all_ contract contruction is done by the lowest bidder, civil or
military or public or private or whatever!

So why am I quibbling? Well, when I see the saying "it was built by the
lowest bidder" being used to justify a less interesting design, like a
freighter with no windows, or a fighter with only one gun, or a carrier made
out of nothing but grey bricks, it's disappointing, because it strikes me as
lazy. Better to put in a bit of effort and imagine interesting reasons why
things are added to the design, to do things like enhance the pilot
survival, or improve combat performance, do some weird energy-saving
techy-gizmo function. I don't know - just use your imagination.

Then again, maybe I misunderstood the saying... in which case I would very
much like it to be explained.  ;-)

--
Cheers,
Paul

  Welcome to the military!  Oh, and lead just doesn't have the penetrating
power of depleted uranium shells :)  That's the only thing I can think of...
And if they don't include ejection seats, someone will get upset (depends on
who finds out).  What was the point of your reply exactly?