 Space / 6461
Re: Scale Question
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Mon, 29 Jan 2001 20:19:49 GMT

In lugnet.space, Matthew Morley writes:
Somebody really should post a offical (or close) scale list on a web site. This
way everyone would know what the scales were in relation to normal model
building.

Just my $.02 worth...:)

Matthew Morley

I disagree with this for many reasons: LEGO spaceship MOCs are not real -
there is no true size to guage scale from. The application of 'fig-scale'
helps to indicate how big we think it should be. There is no 'accurate'
scaling that applies to a minifig. They're too short for their width. Most
people build for looks - using proportion - making scale arbitrary and
variable. Really detailed 'scale' models usually don't work well with
minifigs. Really big spaceships take too many bricks to render in scales
larger than 'microfig' or 'nanofig'. I suggest the user state their scale if
they choose - otherwise, 'mini-', 'micro-' and 'nanofig' scales work for me.

A side note: LEGOLand structures are generally built at 1:20 scale, but when
the original building is really big, the scale is slipped to allow for
capturing the look and feel. I don't think they want to build a 50 foot tall
model of The Empire State Building just to hold scale.

Wayne