 Space / 6115
RE: build time
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space, lugnet.build
Date:
Tue, 16 Jan 2001 20:55:14 GMT

Paul Hartzog writes:
re: the issue bleow that kirby and J.D. have raised.
how long DOES it take us to build things?
in real actual hours worked?

I don't really ever keep track.  Building is a recreation after all, and I
don't think recreation should be timed :)  Anyway, lemme guesstimate some
building times...
  My Classic Space contest entries were pretty straight forward.  I played
with some windows and designed some of the moving parts, and then the
entries just came together.  I guess each of them took about 3 hours or
less.
  After collecting the pictures for my Lamborghini Diablo, I built the front
spoiler (pretty straight-forward), and figured out how I would place the
front wheels in order to have the hood the correct slope, the wheels
steerable, and the wheel-well as small as possible.  That probably took
about an hour or two.  I went to sleep, got up at noon, and continued
building.  I didn't do much besides eat, read LUGNET a bit, and build that
day, so I'll guess I built between 5 and 7 hours.  Besides the air intakes
on the bottom, there weren't many more design issues to solve.  So in total,
I worked on it for probably
8 +- 3 hours.
  On the DeLorean, I spent a really long time working out the way I would
have the wheels fold.  The difficulty was having the wheels come out as far
as possible and also fold as high up as possible (ie, so the wheel-wells
wouldn't look incredibly empty)  I probably spent at least an hour playing
with different solutions using different wheels and widgets until I came up
with something that worked.  The doors also took some time to figure out, as
did the positions of the fiber optic lines.  In total, I spent just a little
less time on the DeLorean than on the Diablo.
--Bram

Bram Lambrecht
bram@cwru.edu
http://home.cwru.edu/~bxl34/