 Space / 4792
Re: 2001 In Rome, GA... If it's here it's everywhere....
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Tue, 21 Nov 2000 19:44:20 GMT

In lugnet.space, Matthew Teets writes:
In lugnet.announce, Chris Giddens writes:
I picked up the gray and blue Red Planet Protector #7313 this weekend.  They
had the scorpion looking Mech and the Lego Studio set.  They probably have
more to put out, but they just haven't done it yet.

So like the subject says... if it's here it's everywhere!

A couple of notes about the #7313... it's not a 4+ set as originally
thougth.  It's a 7-12 set.  I actually like this set a lot.  It's better
than the Robo force stuff.  It has a good selection of pieces and was kinda
fun to put together... the only negative is, well it doesn't stand well.

Actually it stands fine, I had the same problems at first though.  The legs
are hinged horizontally to, spread the legs to a 45-90 degree angle from
each other and you can spin the top around like a top and it won't fall over.

At first I used the leg mounted fan/laser units as rear supports, as though
it had four legs.  Then I splayed the legs out and that works too.  I love
this set, I just wish they fixed two things.  1)  Made the leg mounted fan
things fasten on with stiff technic pins so they can be positioned.  2)
Made the ankles so that they can go forward, not just upright and back.  As
it is, the Protector cannot aim up without tipping over.  But it is
extremely menacing looking.  Just stand a minifig anywhere near it and you
will see that this thing could just stomp him.  Very cool looking.

Another question... do we think humans are the enemy in this theme?  They
seem to be the invader on Mars against these cute little aliens.

I think the humans are just explorers and obviously don't look even remotely
prepared to run into something like this.  I notice a huge shortage on
earthly craft in this series.  3 to 5, and two of the earth ones are under
100 pieces each.  These Earth ships are just fodder for these "cute innocent
aliens".  Hahaha.

I was going to just stick with a few Technic sets and only the SW theme, but
this series is way too cool.  I hope they expand it next year with a few
more Earth ships.

Jason F.