 Space / 4793
Re: 2001 In Rome, GA... If it's here it's everywhere....
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Tue, 21 Nov 2000 19:57:59 GMT

In lugnet.space, Jonathan Mizner writes:
Another question... do we think humans are the enemy in this theme?  They
seem to be the invader on Mars against these cute little aliens.

Chris <><
Interesting.  It DOES say life on Mars.  Does this mean it's life on Mars
before colonization?

To me it means that there is currently life on Mars and here come the
Earthlings to discover it.  Not, "hey, what would Life on Mars be like if we
were to move there?"

Notice, though, that all the human sets are rovers and
other "harmless" machines.  With the exception of the Mono Jet and the laser
mounted on it.  To me it looks more like the Martians are the
miltary-oriented. 7311 has a laser-like device on it, 7313's "arms" could
be anti-aircraft lasers, 7314 has a flamethrower (in an oxygen-deprived
enviroment?) and "lights" that could also be lasers, 7316 has a device on
one claw that is pointed with a glowing tip which looks suspiciously like a
heavy laser to me.  At least some sort of cutting device.

Uh, yeah, I don't think they want to be discovered.  The puny Earthling
craft won't put up much of a fight.  In an oxygen free invironment, you
would need to supply the fuel and the oxygen to make the flame thrower work.
Hence the tank on the back.  Real rockets use spurts of flame once in orbit
to move about, you can actually see the flash if you are looking right at
the maneuvering thrusters.  So flames are entirely realistic.

What I find
interesting is the orange bolders that come with certain sets.  I recall any
collectable/desirable/shiny object being an invitation to war with previous
Lego themes (Aquanauts, Pirates, Adventurers...).  Maybe I am reading all of
this wrong and they are really first contact astronauts.  Time will tell...
Sooner or later, time will tell...

Shiny objects are always of desire.  Maybe if the Earthlings and Martians
hit it off just right, they will end up with a Alien Front Online situation.
http://dreamcast.ign.com/previews/14850.html if you dare.

Jason F.