 Space / 39585
Re: Improved Space Combat Fighter
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Wed, 12 Oct 2005 04:56:25 GMT

In lugnet.space, Geoffrey Hyde wrote:

The front of the craft doesn't fit in with the rest of it, it is way too
blocky and needs something extra to put the angles out of the picture.
Other than that this model is almost perfect, except for the fact that the
nose may be a few studs too long.

I would also like a better shot of the undercarriage, perhaps you could show
the landing gear in the extended position as well?  It might be hard to do
with the canopy on, but can you get a pilot's eye view of the nose from the
cockpit?

It's moderated already! *grins*  An excellent model with a surprising lack
of visible studded construction, but with some minor improvements I think
this model could be perfect!

Geoff,

Thanks for the comments!  I took them to heart.

I think this photo illustrates what I did to smooth out the nose.  Wanting to
keep the vent/access point in the nose, I actually wound up extending the length
of the nose one peg.  I'm going to have to take that pilot POV shot tomorrow.  I
also decided to make the nose sensor equipment look more sensor like.  Anyway,
deep link:

Orginally, the ship had no landing gear, but I decided that rationalizing that
neglected aspect of the design by rationalizing a "landing skid" was cheap.

Deep link to an undercarriage shot of the landing gear retracted:
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/Snay/UIW/CombatSpaceFighter2/landing_gear_retracted_undercarriage.jpg

And another to the landing gear deployed:
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/Snay/UIW/CombatSpaceFighter2/landing_gear_deployed_undercarriage.jpg

Detail of the front landing gear:
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/Snay/UIW/CombatSpaceFighter2/frontlandinggeardetail.jpg

The entire gallery can be viewed here once moderated:

Thank you!

-Jeff