 Space / 36995
36994  |  36996
Subject:
Mobile Party Palace (Space Wheels Contest Entry)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Tue, 16 Nov 2004 16:59:16 GMT
Highlighted:
!! (details)

What is the point of having technology indistinguishable from magic if you can’t use it to have a little fun?

Introducing the Mobile Party Palace (MPP):

(clicky)

The MPP is a luxury palace/city/arcology/biodome built atop a single giant wheel. This allows it to roam the surface of whatever planetoid it finds itself on, exposing its pampered residents to an ever changing vista.

Inspiration was drawn from Douglas Adam’s floating party as well as the Decapodian Mobile Oppression Palace from the Futurama episode “A Taste of Freedom”. Someone pointed out (after I had built it) that it reminded them of the book “Cities in Flight” by James Blish. I can see what they mean, although I didn’t have it in my mind consciously while I was building.

I’m very happy with how it turned out, pretty close to what I had in mind when I started. Although I’m still not 100% happy with the layout of the greebly panels on the lower half, (I think they look a bit too regimented) but it would be a major rebuild to move/reshape them and it would force a change in the structure of that section, potentially for the worse. I could probably spend forever changing little details, but at some point you have to decide that it is finished.

I learnt a lot building this, there is a LOT of SNOT, especially inside the city bits. I knew a lot about SNOT theory from lurking here watching the masters but it is not until you actually start using it yourself that you really start to get a feel for what you can do. I’ve also learned a lot about colour, the greebly sections went through several revisions before I found colour combinations I was reasonably happy with.

The model itself balances rather well, although it is ever so slightly rear-heavy (more by good luck than good management). It will stay up long enough to take photos with a simple chock under the back of the wheel, and if I place it in the textured section of moon I built as a stand it is perfectly stable for display.

I really enjoyed building at this scale, it allows you to indulge in gargantuan day dreams without being too demanding when it comes time to actually build them.

I was hoping to be the first to jump on the monowheel bandwagon, so I was a bit gutted to see a couple of excellent monowheel-mocs get posted while I was still faffing about being fussy with photos, oh well...

Enjoy

Tim McSweeney