 Space / 36795
Re: Giant Space Baby attack!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Sat, 30 Oct 2004 08:07:43 GMT

In lugnet.space, Daniel Rubin wrote:
   snip
   Inspiration obviously drawn from whoever it was that posted the original greeblied picture frame and from the current fashion for vignette’s.

If you’re referring to this then I’m glad it was inspirational. Nobody seemed interested at the time I posted it, but this MOC totally makes up for it. On that note, this MOC is awesome. It looks really awesome, you can’t even really tell its on one of the lego frames. A truly awesome job. As others have said, I like the way you aranged the tiles, and I think the frame is a nice touch. The addition of a floor in front is cool too.

-Dan Rubin

Yep! that’s the one, although for some reason in the mental image I had of it the spaceman was holding a black spanner. Brains are such weird things. I do remember going and looking at it when it was originally posted and mentally filed it away for future inspiration.

I was in the lego store in Kingston picking up the UCS Y-Wing and spotted the frames, Your MOC popped back into my head and I thought “I have to have a go at that!”

As for the tiles, I had originally intended to go for a regular tesselation of 2x2 tiles, but it would have limited where I could place the greeblies and the connection points for the porthole, plus I don’t actually have that many tiles :) Once I started with the random tiles it just looked right and I ran with it.

I really wish I had picked up a few more frames now, I want to do a jungle clearing scene in green next. Annoyingly the frames aren’t available via shop.lego.com in the UK.

Cheers Tim