 Space / 36447
Re: The INRI Deep Space Starfighter: Salvation is at hand!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Mon, 4 Oct 2004 15:27:25 GMT

In lugnet.space, Larry Pieniazek wrote:
   In lugnet.space, Peter Roberts wrote:

   First of all, being a Christian, I do object to the design.

Why? I don’t object to people wearing a crucifix as jewellry, how is this different?

I object to both

   Your answer might possibly need to veer off into off-topic.debate, I leave it to you to decide.

Debates take too long. I’d like to leave it here

   However, as a critique of the model, the structure is not very interesting. Your method of building requires virtually no SNOT at all.

Is one supposed to use SNOT merely for its own sake? I think not. I think SNOT ought to be a technique in one’s design arsenal that is used to realise a shape desired, or to achieve a desired effect. NOT something that has to be used whenever possible whether appropriate or not.

I have nothing against people not using SNOT, and on second thoughts, this model did use it anyway. I guess I meant to point at the fact that this model has a bit of a boring design.

   In fact I think this raises a larger question, can something be cool if built without all the latest “cool techniques”? I think the answer is yes...

Absolutely.

   Most of it is in standard studs up configuration

Which, given the shape of the ship, makes perfect sense, don’t you agree?

Fair enough. However, maybe the shape of the ship should be changed if the methods used create a boring design.

   and, well, I like SNOT. The greebling isn’t very interesting

Which, given the shape of the ship, makes perfect sense, don’t you agree?

   and all in all it is a bit of boring ship to look at.

That might have been the point, who can say.

But anyone can make a boring ship. If it was meant to be boring and uninteresting, why post it?

   Personally, I found it a design worthy of a chuckle or two, one that pushed the envelope of what we’ve seen in ship shape. I’m not sure it is a masterpiece, per se but does every new ship have to be better in each and every way? Isn’t it OK to have something cool that isn’t the coolest ever?

Yes, but this wasn’t particularly good on any measure. I never said every ship had to be cooler than the one before. If that was the case, there would be very few models on LUGNET.