 Space / 36128
Re: The Space Vikings
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Sat, 11 Sep 2004 02:44:35 GMT

In lugnet.space, Chris Paton wrote:
Amongst others I am trying to develop a style for a .space faction, The Space
Vikings.  I would appreciate any comments on the following MOCs and perhaps
some tips and tricks for developing subthemes - like what do you focus on?
Names, history or shape and colour?

Thanks in advance.

Chris

<http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=95470 /  The Space Vikings>

The Space Vikings are taking shape with the help of the Danish LUG
Byggepladen.

I like this because it uses a lot of Castle-themed parts that would otherwise
most likely go unused in .space creations.

For the tips and tricks you asked about, it's a good idea to get all of your
subtheme's dominant colours out, and look at which pieces are best represented-
obviously, a collection of brown LEGO will have many parts that are unknown or
uncommon in other colours. I can see that using a lot of wheels but not as
wheels is a Space Vikings signature technique, which is pretty neat.  There's no
exact forumula for going from parts to finished model.  With Ægyptron, the
Bastet Starfighter came together first because I was determined to use a pair of
pterosaurs for *something*, without a clear goal of a cat-like ship.  On the
other hand, the Pyramid Rover started out because I wanted a pyramid design and
the wing plates were just an obvious solution to that.  Whatever you do, there
should be some design element other than colour to clearly place your model in
the subtheme.  I would say you are doing this well.

Mjollnir is an interesting but somewhat confusing base.  Why is there no ladder
or staircase leading from the moonbase corridor to the cannons on the ground?
(And have we agreed that the Moon of the future is enriched with oxygen to allow
people to breathe and fires to burn?  I'm rather new here.)

I really like how Odin's Left Eye has its engines as oars, very appropriate for
Space Vikings.  The Thunder Chariot is simply the most skillful integration of
livestock and spacecraft I have ever seen.  ;)