 Space / 34142
Re: Jade Empire: Kushinata
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Thu, 3 Jun 2004 01:00:57 GMT

In lugnet.space, Leonard Hoffman wrote:

The KUSHINATA

A Jade Empire scientific shuttle, studying atmospheric phenomenon. Yeah, that means it doesn’t have any guns, or whatnot. The Wings double as both sensor recievers and solar panels. Fun Times.

General design is supposed to be the shuttle version of the Lo Pan, and side panels that come off inspired by Ryan Wood’s Nacon hovership. They were fun because they gave me a chance to really design an interior, including ceiling. The exchange is that you gotta keep in mind what blocks what, and that can get kinda rough. Also, the roof is low (5 bricks high), which can create problems for setting up the figs. I want at some point in time to do a crew shot, but prolly wont for a while as the figs are “built-into” the ship and would be a total pain to get out.

I intended to give it some windows, but nope. Ship is navigated entirely by sensors, which lends itself to the claustrophobic sense of it all. It has a bed for everyone, a leisure ‘inter-net cpu’ and toilet, and a swell engine area - using the rare Jadium crystals for power.

Kushinata refers to a mythical Japanese Princess who tried to rid the world of negative karma, which only created more negative karma. (She is the finest creature featured in Masamuna Shirow’s Orion)

And yeah, there’s no hatchway. If you really care, I’ve got this nice bag of punch-in-the-face to send you.

-Lord Lenyu

ps, funny thing is i never intended to write this much, heh.

Yeah, man. Now you’re starting to sound like me. yikes!

I’m really liking this one. It’s all convincingly cramped and oppressive (shake Das-Boot-y); these Jade Imperials don’t seem to like wasting space. Presumably they recruit claustrophilliacs. (yeah, well it should be a word.)

As for the whole front/back issue, that’s just for the insecure. And, why shouldn’t a ‘merely’ ‘scientific’ JE vessel prey on the insecurities of the enemy? Seems rather fitting. That might be one of the phenomena it’s been sent out to study. Hmmmm...

Peace and frontal ambiguity,

Professor Whateverly

Ps. This is one brief, momentary break in my week of work at our local children’s festival. So... Lenny wins! Keep building and smacking, folks..