 Space / 34136
Re: Jade Empire: Kushinata
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Wed, 2 Jun 2004 22:13:21 GMT

In lugnet.space, Ryan Wood wrote:
   I’ll be honest and say I’m not really feeling the confusing “which is the front end and which is the back end” thing, though I admit it falls in line perfectly with what Keith set up with LoPan. I think it’s the lack of cockpit that really bothers me, but honestly, it’s got plenty of sensors and they’ve got computer screens inside, so they can see where they’re going just fine. It’s just a matter of aesthetics.

I understand. Its not something I’m particularly happy with either. Especially since the engine area can look somewhat like a droid head, I thought about making it the front and doing something else on the rear for an engine, but I really liked my engine design so...

   Coloring is right on. Lack of dino tail = t3h sux0rz. The giant fins make me think more of the EB in this case than the fins on LoPan, probably because they are so similar to the ones seen most recently on Zhukov.

My next JE will definately feature dino tails, worry not.

About the wings, I really liked the design for the Zhukov so much that I’m probably going to produce a few more shuttles in a similiar vein. I’ve got a concept for an Iron Reich one rumbling thru my head. And actually, I feel like the fins look more JE than EB - even on the Zhukov. Fins being a weak point that yer usual EB design would avoid, whereas JE is more concious about over-all design aesthetic.

I love the interiors. You have lighting inside, and that makes me jealous. Makes me want to add lighting to the inside of Nacon. And I will. Because yours look good, though they look like camping lights, but hey, whatever tickles your Jade Empire pickle.

The idea is that the light hanging down spread the light farther around the cabin, meaning there is less lights needed. Anyways, I really enjoyed doing the interior and squeezing everything in - and especially thinking about detailing the walls and ceiling, which is something you cant do with a light off top.

Also, it makes presentation easier and I can set it off and just remove a panel - everyone understand the panel will go and how it will look b/c it looks the same on the other side.

   Removable panels rock! It’s kind of a bummer that the figs are built into the model, because if you could move them you’d have some really fun playability. But using the removable panels lets us see inside to your excellent interior work, so great job there.

The problem with playability is the cramped ness - I could move figs around but it would be very difficult. I already moved the Commander (old guy standing at trans-neon screen) and i had to pull all the equipement out and move him and put it all in again.

Thanks for the feedback.

Honestly, if you have any ideas for how to better work the front/back issue (aside from building in a cockpit - which really can’t be done as it is) - I’m game to hear it!

-Lenny