 Space / 34025
Re: Colonial Marines Contest
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Thu, 27 May 2004 04:34:37 GMT

In lugnet.space, David Lowry wrote:
   I am a big Aliens fan. However I have seen about 3 Aliens MOCs and I want to
do something about it. After all Aliens is a classic. So I think we should have
a Colonial Marines/Aliens MOC contest, similar to the current P-38 and civilian
MOC contest.
   You could build just about anything related to Aliens or the Colonial
Marines. However it would have to be either from the movies, games, comics, or
various technical manuals and stuff.
   We would need someone to judge the whole thing, and if there are no
volunteers I would gladly do it just to see all the cool MOCs. :) Currently if
you want any specific rules the whole thing is open to discussion, and at this
point it is just a suggestion.

David Lowry
"In Ohio it illegal to hunt whales with a shotgun."

Well ...

... here's the thing.  I don't think many people would be interested in this
contest, because what seems to draw people to most contests (like Mark Sandlin's
current one) is the freedom to build what they want within certain parameters:
in the case of Sandlin's, NON-military craft with a civilian purpose.  In your
case, you're asking people to build very specific ships, and while certainly
imagination would kick in on HOW to build some of these things ... it wouldn't
kick in on WHAT to build (since you're essentially asking people to build from
the "movies, games, comics or various technical manuals and stuff", they'd be
limited in choice).

Anyway, even for an English major I seem to ramble quite a bit too long, and I'm
sure someone else could've said the same thing in ten words and made it clearer.
Oh well, back to lurkin'.

-Jeff ("The Snay")