 Space / 28376
Re: Vintage Mecha
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Mon, 6 Oct 2003 16:42:59 GMT

In lugnet.space, Allister McLaren wrote:
   This is an early design mecha that was developed before a stable walking system was devised. This one is still in use, many years after the majority of those of a similar vintage were scrapped. It is employed as a spaceport support vehicle on far off Pluto where reliability is valued far above elegance. It’s duties include handling cargo, repairing hulls etc, hence the non-spec arm attachments.

This mech grew around the window arrangement. Originally I wanted stumpy legs on it, but went for the treads instead, I think they work well.

brickshelf gallery

PLMKWYT

Allister

This is an excellent build, Allister. There are so many elements to this that are excellent innovations. The overall look and old mech feel is great, but the building techniques really make it for me. The hinged as unit cockpit is a novel solution to the space issues of that canopy, and using the short/tall white slopes to edge the canopy itself is genious...definately taking that one away. And wonderful to see the artic treads in use again (and thanks for the hat-tip).

Again, wonderful stuff.

Cheers, -Gil